Do's and Don'ts while visiting a Hindu Temple
First of all let us go with the dos:
- Everybody except the ladies in their menstruation period are allowed to enter the temple.
- Take bath and wear fresh clothes before going to temple.
- Remove your footwear outside temple. You are allowed to wear socks.
- Better to keep your cellphones in mute.
- Pray to deities by holding the hands together in 'namaskara'.
- You can offer fruits or flowers to deities.
- Give your offerings to the priests who will take them to sanctum sanctorum. Give it using right hand.
- Receive the 'prasadam'(part of offerings to deities) with your right hand.
- If priest is bringing the lamp to you, move both hands devoutly over the flame and bring your hands back, turn your palms toward your face and touch your eyes with fingertips.
- If you want to offer money to God place it in 'hundi' or donation box with your right hand.
Now let us see the Don'ts while going to temple
- Don't have non - vegetarian food before going to temple. If you had meat, fish or egg on that day you should take bath before entering the temple.
- No shorts, mini skirts, tight T-shirts or revealing blouses are allowed inside temple.Dress accordingly.
- You can find lots of deities or idols in temple, please don't touch them.
- Do not enter the sanctum sanctorum.
- No foods allowed inside temple.